The Helix keyboard is a split ortholinear design that features a 5x6 grid with two additional thumb keys on the bottom two rows. This keyboard design is one of the first well known split keyboards to come from Japan. Many of the innovations introduced by the Helix were carried over into other layouts like the Lily58 and Corne keyboards. The PCBs feature per key RGB lighting as well as footprints for optional OLED screens. By default, the screens display the current layer and information about recently pressed keys. The bottom row of the PCB can also be broken off in order to create a four row layout.
The Helix keyboard was designed by pluis9 with artwork by void_keys. Additional information about the Helix keyboard along with the source files from the designer can be found on the Helix Github repository. QMK key mappings and firmware can be found here.
Switches must be soldered in to place. Compatible with Cherry MX and Kailh Low Profile Choc switches. Supports 4 or 5 row layouts.
PCBs utilize Kailh MX Hotswap Sockets that can only be used with Cherry MX compatible switches. 5 row layout is supported. PCBs can be purchased here.
This particular Helix PCB variant does not include footprints that are compatible with Kailh Hotswap Sockets. Switches must be soldered in place in order to function.
Kits must be assembled in order to be used. The following components are included with each kit.
|64||Through Hole Diodes (SMD available upon request)|
The following components are required in order to have a completed keyboard.
|2||Pro Micro or equivalent|
|1||Helix Keyboard Case|
|50/64||Cherry MX or Kailh Choc switches|
The following components are optional.
|50/64||RGB LED (Included with Assembled PCBs)||Link|
PCB Assembly Services
- All components included in the PCB Kit will come assembled on the PCBs
- PCBs will ship with sockets installed for MCUs and OLED Screens
- Screens and MCUs must be socketed for installation.
- If purchased at the same time, MCUs and OLED screens will also be socketed and installed onto the PCBs.
- Assembly with RGB LEDs includes the cost of LEDs. Purchasing additional LEDs is not required.
- Switch soldering service is an additional charge. Please contact email@example.com for more information.
- Lead time on custom assembly is 2-3 weeks.